- In one triune God: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
- God is alive and active in our world, that Jesus Christ is Lord and Savior, and that the Holy Spirit dwells within us as our guide.
- Every person needs God’s saving grace in their life.
- Salvation and redemption come through faith in Jesus Christ, not through any works on our part.
- All who put their trust in Jesus are made new.
- In the power of scripture as the primary rule and guide for our lives.
- We are part of Christ’s universal church with all fellow believers.
- Holy Communion and Baptism are sacraments, through which God’s grace is received in particularly powerful ways.
These beliefs, held in common with other Christians all over the world, are the foundation of our faith. They help us to understand who God is, how God works, and why we need God and his grace. They sustain us and remind us that we are God’s beloved and valued children. And they guide us through how we are to respond to God’s word and how to act as people in God’s world.”
The United Methodist Church has roots that go back over 200 years. To learn more about the basics of our faith, visit the United Methodist Church website.